Sunday, June 23, 2013

Preparing for convenience

I used to ride my bike everywhere. I parked it at the side of the house, and this system worked for years. Then bikes started getting stolen. I had one stolen from school, while it was chained up, and another stolen from the house.

I did eventually get another bike, but being unable to keep it outside, it ended up hanging upside down on hooks in the back storage. I never ride it.

That is something I am going to have to deal with eventually, but for now I have other things going on, where sometimes the hassle is an issue. I am working on drawing, and on learning bass guitar. Part of being successful with both of these endeavors is returning to them on a regular basis. That is involving rearranging my room.

It's not really such a big deal. I merely need to move some things out of the way, so I can put the things I need where I can grab them easily, instead of needing to dig for them. Doing so pays off. When the sketchpad is in the bottom drawer, underneath things, I may still grab it, but the odds go way up if it is on top of the dresser. There is the convenience, and there is the visual cue of having it in sight.

In the case of the guitar, it actually involved purchasing a bag, because I was so worried about damage I was keeping it in the box, and getting it in and out of there was an ordeal. There is still making myself do it, and figuring out ways to improve, but the reminder is right there, and it helps.

It occurs to me that there are probably other ways to apply this. When there are areas where I am having difficulty, I can analyze that difficulty, and look for ways to make things easier.

We all have enough struggles. If we can find a way to give ourselves a boost, we should go for it.

No comments: