Sunday, November 22, 2015

Water!

This is kind of getting back to earthquakes, but not specifically so.

I was talking with some people about it, and how you need to be prepared for longer than three days now, which for a long time was the gold standard. Now it is more common to hear 7-10 days, and it occurred to me that I want two weeks worth of water.

We do not have two weeks worth of water. That would be a lot. It becomes very difficult to store and find containers for that amount.

It used to be easy to find 50-gallon barrels, but that has become less common lately, because shipping them is expensive even when they are empty and moving them around when they are full is difficult.

Still, I want two weeks worth of water. I want that even being very impressed with my local water district's emergency planning, and knowing that they are collaborating with other local water districts, so water in this area should be doing pretty well.

I believe in inspiration, so if knowing all that my goal is still two weeks worth of water, then that's what I should be trying for.

I also believe in doing things at a reasonable pace, and I feel okay about that, so I am not going to panic right now. Some of our water storage is in one-gallon containers that Winco sells. These are not in the HDPE milk jug style plastic, which is not suitable for storage, but in the hard PETE plastic.

I bet we can get a few of those this week. That's something we can build up.

We don't have room for a two week supply of those, but we can add some more now and then work out where the rest will go later.

Also, it is worth remembering that we have the water heater, which is full of water. Yes, it can collect some sediment, though it shouldn't collect very much, but that's something I can look into, both for how quickly it should amass sediment and how to rinse that out, because there is a method for doing that. I still want to have two weeks worth of water outside of the tank, but the tank can augment the supply until we get there.

Water may not be your hot issue, but if you work on preparedness you will probably discover your hot issue. It may be something you can work on gradually, or you may feel a need to speed it up, but developing the ability to listen and hear is the greatest tool for preparation that there is.

No comments: