Sunday, March 10, 2024

Ordinances for everyone

I have written a little about choosing already, but a different aspect.

That post was about choosing between domination and salvation, or recognizing the type of plan that we are given, and therefore how we have to live it.

For this post, it is more about committing to that choice, which we do via ordinances.

First, let me tell you about my own baptism. 

I was eight years old, and in many ways the strongest memories for me art the family friends from our previous ward coming over to support me, and the excitement about that. 

I do not remember much about feeling any change when it happened, but I do remember thinking that I would be totally clean so I would need to be very careful not to sin after that, and stay clean. 

I didn't last very long. I have never been a huge sinner (though recognizing the importance of any of our errors is very important) so I don't really remember what I did specifically, but it was probably squabbling with one of my sisters, or maybe not doing something one of my parents told me to do. Without remembering the specifics, I remember the lesson that good intentions don't always work out.

The fun part is, this puts my eight year old self on a similar level of spiritual maturity with Constantine the Great, whom tradition says waited until his deathbed for baptism, so that he would be in the least danger of polluting his soul again.

The better lesson from my story is just to accept that we will need repentance, and that should lead to gratitude for the plan and the atonement and Jesus Christ.

Maybe learning that makes it easier to understand other lessons there.

The decision to delay an ordinance in that way is based on fear, making it not work well as a sign of faith.  

I suspect that leaving that safety in place also affects how well you go about doing good. I mean, it's not counting yet, right? You are going to start counting later... that seems like it would really put a damper on things.

This is where we circle around to the where I started, about how beautiful it is that we do work for the dead:

https://preparedspork.blogspot.com/2024/01/with-all-my-heart.html

The steps in the plan have their purposes and they matter, but the lack of availability of parts of the plan is not a permanent obstacle.

Everyone is capable of rising to the highest they can, but it does take choice.

There are many things that are hard about it, but it is also beautiful.

It also works, no matter how badly we children of God try to muck it up, which gets us back more to the things that I am normally writing about.

Regardless, God is good. 

I know that, and I will try and make my life show that, despite my many imperfections and how annoying so many people can be.

I will carry grace for you and for myself.

No comments: