Sunday, January 7, 2024

With all my heart

It was probably about two months ago that I saw someone I respect complaining on Twitter about learning that her late great-grandfather had been baptized. That wasn't his religious background, they would not tell her who did it, and she was very upset.

Now, it is possible that the person who submitted the name could have been a second cousin she didn't know. It could have been a more distant relative.

I felt bad that she was upset, and concerned that a lot of it came from perceptions that the Church is full of awful bigoted people. That may not be completely fair, but there are some grounds for that impression.

While many shared her aggravation, some tried to defend it, saying that no one was forced to accept the ordinances. That is true but did not help.

Someone else suggested baptizing someone into the Church of Satan when they died, as long as that was the reasoning.

That is accurate enough; if you were to baptize me by proxy into another church, I would not accept it. No one has that kind of control over anyone else, and that is a good thing.

One key difference is that the motivation for that would be pretty spiteful. Spite is not a good religious motivation, though I can't rule out that it is present sometimes.

When I have submitted names and done ordinance work, it has been motivated by love. There was also often a sense of urgency for various reasons, where I felt that it was desired on the other side, and that people were ready and waiting. It was still love that made that matter.

It was also love that was often felt keenly while in the temple, as if I were receiving it back.

I am writing about that for two reasons. 

Firstly, there is too much spite in the world and not enough love; I want to get my vote in there for love.

Also, while I know that I am regularly critical (though my intentions are to help and I hope my motivation is love), I also have faith and devotion.

It would be easy to get caught up in the criticism, and lose faith; I am not doing that.

(I acknowledge that there will be people who think I am having faith wrong.)

About a year ago I spent some time on gifts that strengthened me, for similar reasons. I am not nearly as negative as I could appear to be.

So I intend to start this year with some faith affirming posts focusing on the restored gospel, which I believe in, even while being fully aware that there might be problems within the institution, members, and even leaders, but where I nonetheless stay.

I do this not just to affirm the truth, but also to affirm that those imperfections are not always reasons to leave. I also acknowledge that for many people leaving has made sense, and doubtless felt like the only possible response.

I know that, but also that we need to have grace for each other, inside and out.

I know that we need to love each other.

With all my heart.

No comments: