Sunday, April 30, 2023

Maintaining hope and motivation in dark times

Hey, the fascists are running again. 

They never really stop.

I had sort of forgotten that new school board elections were coming up, then vaguely wondered if every district has a fascist slate again.

Why yes! And apparently now they are trying to take over water boards too. I need to look into soil boards.

In 2021 I did several posts on the elections, though they were primarily on the main blog. I contacted people I knew directly (it was pointless, but I still did it). Two things made a difference.

First of all, I was seeing references everywhere. There was surprisingly little news, but I would see posts from other people, and then talk to them. I ended up finding a wealth of material on the situation.

Also -- and it is hard to picture it now -- I wasn't so tired.

So now I feel this need to dig deep, but there are only two weeks left. Last time I started hearing things in February.

One thing on our side is that at least for Beaverton and Hillsboro, there are fewer seats open this time. That means fewer candidates to look into, and less ability for them to take a majority. They can cause a lot of disruption anyway. One of the Hillsboro candidates won last time, so the risk is greater, but I will be grateful for small favors.

Speaking of that candidate who won in Hillsboro... the two districts I follow did okay, but a lot of other districts didn't. Most notably the fascists took Newberg, which has had some notable racist incidents happening at school since then.

It's easy to forget that it happened. Life is busy, and there were so many districts with the same issue. I can barely keep up with two, and even in those two, people get used to it. Oh, of course there are some crazies... 

Except they aren't crazy, and what they do has a real impact.

Like I said, I am tired, and I don't have a big influence so it is questionable how much good anything I do has anyway.

Frankly, there is a lot scripturally that indicates that the bad guys are going to keep winning until Christ's return. The timing is unclear, and there may be some periods where things seem to get better, but they will keep trying to take over the government, disenfranchising people who won't support them, and shooting people.

And yet, I have to keep going. Any breaks my efforts give to someone else are worth it. Plus, it keeps me from joining the bad guys, which is surprisingly easy.

There may be times when I can say that I will go to bed early this time or ease off somewhat; after all, my influence is limited. However, I believe that I matter and that other people matter and that nature matters, and that my caring about everything matters. 

Also, combined efforts make more difference. I say my contacting people didn't make a difference, but one person who was sure I was exaggerating started to wonder after another mutual acquaintance backed me up. I don't know that either of us alone would have been enough.

If only we'd had a third.

Therefore I have started checking, and Tuesday on the main blog (sporkful.blogspot.com) I will at least point out the fascist candidates in Beaverton and Hillsboro.

I may find other things to do, and then do them.

Finally, I know that they don't call themselves fascist. There are striking similarities. 

As much as they aren't ashamed of now, it's probably only a matter of time until they start embracing the term. They have already vilified "antifa".

No comments: