Sunday, September 9, 2018

Sleeping in

Yesterday I slept really late.

It wasn't completely uninterrupted, because there were cats who wanted to be fed and a dog who wanted to go out, but where I often give up and start doing other things, yesterday I went back to sleep and fell asleep, not getting up until around 10.

I know, it sounds very slothful.

It was also the end of a very long week or so. The previous Friday there was a whirlwind trip to Spokane, with a long and miserable hike on Monday that left me far more physically depleted than I had counted on, and then a conference on Thursday and Friday.

Honestly, those were all good things (well, the hike was kind of a disaster, but that will be an eventual post on the travel blog). They also took a toll, and while I wasn't quite at the point of becoming ill, like back in June, I wasn't doing well.

So I slept - the best healer - and the things that did not get done that could have gotten done will probably still get done another day.

A few of the people at the conference were from the PDX Alliance for Self-care, and we had some discussion about that on breaks. One of the really important things is saying "no" sometimes.

I have reached a point in my caretaking duties where I am forgetting how to relax, and I am forgetting how to plan fun activities when spare time is for all the things that are running behind. I have to learn to do better for everyone.

After June I realized I can't afford to get sick. I keep having great intentions for health, but those become other things to do, when often what I need most is rest, and a lazy Saturday morning.

No comments: