Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sabbath shift

It recently came to me that I wasn't going to write on Sundays anymore.

By writing I meant the novels and screenplays that I do in hopes of making money. Although that goal kind of makes them "work", it had not felt like it because they're not really a big money-maker ($17 total so far!). Also, writing is very restorative for me. There are moments of frustration and getting stuck, but usually it is an activity where I come away feeling better. Because of that, the feeling that I should leave it for the other six days was surprising.

Upon further reflection it makes sense. I am following a much more ambitious writing schedule now with increased efforts to sell something. I have gotten good at working writing into normal work days and days off, where I am writing more frequently than I used to. That is something that makes a rest more necessary, where I can step back, get my head out of it, and then go back refreshed.

The change had been felt before, both in my realizing that I needed to put my reading on hold to not detract from the writing, and in the way that my creative week did not involve any drawing or really much other than writing. There are other things that are important to me that I don't have time for, but Sunday can be that time.

It doesn't change everything. Journal writing still happens on whatever day I need it, which includes Sunday but some weeks ends up being almost every day. I wondered if it would mean stopping the Provident Living blog, which has been a lot more random lately. That doesn't seem to be a reason to quit. That could totally change in the future. There was a time when working on the novel on Sunday felt right. It is important to be aware of the changes in our lives, and whether spiritual adjustments are needed.

There was a moment of thinking that was less time for what I needed, but then it was excitement. This is where I will find the time to organize my family history. I can read those Italian issues of the Liahona that I have saved for working on my Italian, and my ability to discuss spiritual things in Italian. I can read and draw. We are on the late schedule, so if I want to take time for a facial and exfoliation, or a deep conditioning treatment on my hair (these things are needed), I can do that.

I'm sure I won't do all of those things every week, but having some time for those things that help my life, and give me a break, is exciting, and it makes Sunday more special, the way it is intended to be.

No comments: