Sunday, March 1, 2015

Changing plans

I have recently been working to establish myself as a writer.

That is an important project for me, but it has not been my only project. I also have a long list of books I want to read, some of which were related to other projects (like this year's garden), I have a bass guitar that I don't spend nearly enough time playing, and there are a lot of things that I want to draw as well.

I took of a week from work so that I could spend some time focusing on these things, and it did not go as planned. That was partly because there was illness running amok through the household, but also because the novel that I am currently writing has been taking much longer than expected. Some projects go more quickly, but this one doesn't.

I did still make good writing progress, but not much progress anywhere else. That may have been my first hint that I was going to need to change plans. A bigger hint came shortly after that, with the impression that I needed to put my reading on hold. I am still finishing the two books that I had checked out, which seems to be okay, but then I can't check out anymore.

There was a pang. It's not only that I enjoy reading, though I do, but there are all of these things that I want to learn and know more about, and there was a feeling of being cut off from that.

However, it is not horrible. I believe it is only temporary, until I finish up these three projects which are kind of pivotal. That does help.

Also, I have often felt a pull to read a certain book at a certain time that has worked out well, where the book would combine with other information or add context, and just be what I needed for that time. If my reading guidance has been reliable so far, then continuing to trust it makes sense now.

In addition, it feels like confirmation that my writing is important, and will pay off eventually. It already has in non-monetary ways, and if that's all that ever happens it is still valuable, but there is the chance for more, and that feels more possible.

Finally, I do feel reassured that there will be time for other things. There will be time for more reading, drawing, and music in the future, but there are some things that can't wait, and I need to focus on those.

No comments: