Sunday, December 1, 2013

Preach My Gospel Chapter 13: Stake and Ward Leaders

My first thought on this topic was remembering back to when they changed the bishoprics in Modesto.

There were not enough Lao members to have their own branch, so we had a group in a regular (Anglo) ward. It was a wealthy ward, or it felt like one to me, but there were some really good people there, and we got on well with the bishop and his family.

When they changed the bishopric, the new bishop had a son who was dating one of the Lao girls. They were one of those couples that takes things really seriously, despite being in high school, where they really believe they will get married, even though they probably will not. I don't think the father was thrilled with that relationship, and I felt like he was not too thrilled with the Lao.

I could be judging unfairly. Every bishop has their own personality and focus. The previous bishop had been really interested in missionary work, and was really good to us. The new bishop was focused more on getting the members to be happy, which was still important, but I feel like our side was on the back burner.

Anyway, now with years in between, I have seen that different bishops work better for different people. One friend was really helped by Bishop Y when she needed it, but a different friend could never open up to him. That one was greatly helped by Bishop M, who alienated a lot of people, because he often came off as pretty judgmental. But he helped someone I cared about, and I will always be grateful for that.

When Bishop D came in, that was great for us, because we have known and loved him for years, but his sense of humor did not work for everyone. Some people would get offended, which I think was ridiculous, but that was their right, but other people were helped by him too.

My point is that maybe it is not always our turn. When it is the person who is not "your bishop", he is still your bishop, and you need to respect that and know that other people matter too, and that for the help you need, there is a way. Maybe it is that you are going to wait, or that it will come through another source, but all needs will be met, in time.

No comments: