Sunday, May 26, 2013

Preparing to lose your luggage

No, I am not suggesting that you should lose your luggage. However, after my mother's luggage was lost on the outbound trip, and mine on the way back, and since everyone we talked to had similar stories, and as there was a line when I went to report my missing bag, well, it's at least wise to consider the possibility. There are things I would have liked to have done differently.

First of all, I really wanted my toothbrush. I grew desperate for it. And there was no reason not to have it. You can get a toothbrush through security. When packing, it just made sense (I thought) to keep the toothbrush with the toothpaste, and face cream and hair conditioner, because those are all things that I use in about the same time and place.

Wrong! Because while toothpaste without a toothbrush has limited value, it can nonetheless be a huge relief to be able to brush your teeth in the absence of toothpaste, and it is more practical to borrow someone else's paste than their brush. Keep it in your carry on.

Secondly, if you have multiple checked bags, it is a good idea to split up clothes among them. I felt guilty having fresh clothes when my mother didn't. We could have shared that burden. Is it more work? Yes, but seriously, this is really common. The staff doesn't even feign sympathy at this point. Granted, I don't want fake sympathy nearly as much as I wanted that luggage, but this happens! Protect yourself!

Also, consider at least putting a change of underwear in  your carry on. There's not a lot of room, and it's a pain, but there is worse pain, lurking around the baggage carousel, and it's coming for you.

Okay. I'm a little scarred, and possibly a little paranoid now. It doesn't mean I'm wrong.

No comments: