We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
One of the expressions that confuses people who aren't members the most is probably when we talk about our callings.
When people talk about callings outside of the church, they usually mean something that they feel called to do as a life's work. That can happen to church members as well, but it is pretty normal to have callings that are temporary and that don't have to start out with soul searching and that is really good.
Let me back up.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has no professional clergy. There are paid professions in the church educational system with the schools; those are not volunteer positions. Some of the professional buildings have paid custodial staff (though we also take turns cleaning the regular meeting houses)... for most things that happen, it is someone volunteering their time where the only compensation is spiritual.
You don't decide what you are going to do. When you get asked you can say "no", but generally you are saying "yes".
I have written many posts about speaking in church, and also about giving lessons. Those are things that people do without pay, taking turns, but getting asked.
It can work out differently, depending on the thing. For example, you may be called to be a Sunday school teacher. Probably you will not be the only one, and you will rotate giving lessons, working out a schedule with the other teachers. For speaking on Sunday, members are asked to give talks. Maybe they ask you for a time when you will be out of town, and you say that... they may ask you to speak the following week then contact someone else for that day.
People are supposed to pray and carefully consider the needs before extending a calling. Then, obviously prayer and pondering would be a part of doing your calling.
That being said, I remember more than once hearing jokes from people about it being desperation rather than inspiration.
I think some of that comes from not wanting to brag, maybe, and often people have doubts about how good of a job they can do.
It generally works out. I was just talking to one teacher who is very insecure about teaching, but I know she does a good job. If she was more confident, maybe she would not do as well.
I know I have at times thought there were callings that I would never be able to do; later on I ended up doing them and it worked out.
I have loved teaching Sunday school, but I have also been very happy as a ward librarian (helping people with copies and lesson supplies), in the nursery (children 18 months to three years old), working with youth, organizing activities, and being in charge of emergency preparedness.
I get different things from different callings, which I think makes it good that we change things up periodically.
Currently, as a counselor in the Relief Society presidency, I find myself having more love and appreciation for the women in the ward. I am grateful for that.
Even with the calling where I did my worst job ever, Relief Society accompanist, well, I learned things from doing it, if mostly humility. I don't regret doing it, but I am also glad it didn't last for that long.
No comments:
Post a Comment