We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
Doctinally, perhaps the most interesting thing here is that we don't believe in original sin, where everyone is tainted just being born into this world. That means you don't need something like "immaculate conception" where somehow Mary's conception was different so she could be a fit vessel for the virgin birth.
For years when people talked about immaculate conception, I assumed that was about the conception of Jesus, not Mary.
This is important to me because there can be a tendency to look down on flesh and humanity and all of those things. I admit that they are flawed, but also that they are good.
For our faith, the Fall was necessary to allow us this flawed growth.
I am glad to have a body, even though I am very aware of its weaknesses (even more as I age).
I am glad to have knowledge of good and evil, even though a world where everyone has that knowledge and has the ability to choose means that bad things happen to me and because of me.
Good things happen too, and they have meaning. They can be hard won.
There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." (2nd Nephi 2:25)
There is messiness to life, but there is also meaning and beauty and depth.
I know that for some people who have issues with religion, this is where it comes in. How can God allow such things to happen?
I had said in the first post that I would get more into my relationship with Christ in the third article, and I will get more into this as well.
Those parts all go together.
No comments:
Post a Comment