Sunday, December 31, 2023

Light

If I can be difficult one final time this year, let me say that I am highly skeptical of the Light the World machines.

I know a lot of people love them and are really excited about them, but it seems to be creating that excitement via a gimmick for something we should already be doing.

Currently there is a machine at Washington Square. Through it, you can definitely make donations to Blanchet House: https://blanchethouse.org/

Blanchet House are always here.

Based on what I have seen, one of the other recipients is Heifer International: https://www.heifer.org/ 

They are always there. 

Some also appear to be for Salvation Army.

Their bell ringers are everywhere this time of year, though I don't give to them because of their well-known homophobia, meaning they often deny assistance to the most vulnerable. 

(There could be some other thoughts to have there about that being a good match for us, but I'm not getting into that now.) 

I am sure there are people who are inspired to give by the machines, but that inspiration should already be there.

I see a lot of people smiling by the machines, holding up their cards and posting on Facebook. 

That might seem a little bit like bragging, but no, they are just really excited about how cool it is and that they are participating.

It seems so sterile. 

Blanchet House is right downtown. They accept cash donations, but they also have volunteer opportunities.

With those opportunities, you are going to see the unhoused and smell them and be painfully aware of the economic stratification. 

You may find it easy to judge; assume that they were lazy or messed up in some way, but you may also get to know them, and find out that they are living in their car but holding down a job, or that they drink now but they didn't before.

It is harder to overlook their humanity when they are right in front of you.

It's not that the machines are too easy; making it easier has some definite benefits. 

I worry about how much less personal it is.

There are so many scriptures about how to give and why, but the one that keeps coming to mind is about something else entirely:

But verily I say unto you, that it is not needful for this whole company of mine elders to be moving swiftly upon the waters, whilst the inhabitants on either side are perishing in unbelief. -- D&C 61: 3

I am also thinking of 1 John 4:20

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

I am thinking about it not because of the hypocrisy of proclaiming love for God and feeling hate for people, but the potential loss of even seeing our brothers, knowing they are there and what they need. 

The thing I keep pounding on over and over again is how much we need to love each other, and how that love seems to be so sadly lacking, and how easy it could be to not even notice.

I doubt the ability of a vending machine to fix that.

No comments: