Sunday, October 16, 2022

About this conference

I have caught up with reading all of the talks, as well as the new For Strength of Youth booklet. Here are a few notes:

My favorite talk was probably Sister Kristin Yee's.

She and the new booklet both acknowledged that forgiveness may not eliminate the need to protect yourself. That feels like a good step forward, as I don't recall seeing that stated so clearly before. I related to it.

I was also pleased to see Bishop Caussé mention stewardship for the earth, and caring for each other.

While it was nice that President Oaks repeated that there is no place for abuse in the Church, it would have meant more if there was some commitment to change. I would be thrilled to hear that the law firm running the help line was fired, and an acknowledgment that we have gone too much with the status quo, instead of living our value of protecting children.

Okay, it doesn't make us any worse than Catholics, but shouldn't we be better?

The most recent statement I see is this, and it is not encouraging:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-provides-further-details-about-arizona-abuse-case

It related, but what I was actually looking for was another item, from a while back. I believe it was about an incident of racism, but it specifically said that we offer no apology.

If we know something is wrong, but won't say it, that seriously decreases the odds of us doing better.

That was disappointing.

But the most affirming thing came (perhaps in spite of conference) from a talk on temples, where I deeply felt how much I value them. I believe in the need for the ordinances and the importance of the work for the dead.

As many frustrations as I have with the members and leaders, I am still committed. My testimony is still strong.

I may be a bit thorny, but I am firmly planted.





No comments: