Sunday, August 29, 2021

Setting priorities when the world is on fire

I have been interviewing for jobs, and a frequent question is how I set my priorities when I have many things to do. 

My standard answer is that I will look at what is most time critical. I will also look at the time needed to do complete tasks, because if I can knock out multiple things quickly there is a mental boost that comes with that, as well as having those items done. In addition, if some of the tasks build on other tasks, then the foundational ones need to come first. 

That is all very logical and practical, but if my intuition is telling me to get to something sooner, I will listen to that.

I had thought that I would probably spend the rest of this year on fighting white supremacy in different ways, going through various areas of concern, potential actions that can be taken, and explaining how they relate to white supremacy when it is less obvious.

I find that this week there is so much to respond to that I don't know where to go.

It certainly felt like the environment was an important area to get to, because it is time critical. However, voting rights may determine whether we have a chance to really do well on the environment or not. While immigration issues were definitely going to come up, events in Afghanistan may hasten some urgency there, as well as raising humanitarian concerns and concerns about what information sources you are listening to and what kind of people we are going to be.

Plus, there was this talk...

If there is one thing I know from blogging, it is that I am not the only one who feels the way I do. At this particular time on this particular planet, there is going to be a lot of pressure on anyone who cares.

Yes, more needs to be done than you are capable of doing. There is a certain logic to despair, but it doesn't help.

One thing to accomplish is an ability to let some things go, with faith that there is not just this life to get things right.

Beyond that, of the things you can do...

  • Which is most urgent?
  • What can be done quickly?
  • Are there some things that need to be done before others can be done?

And also, always, what is your inner voice telling you.

No matter how much needs to be done, what you are capable of doing matters.

No comments: