Sunday, February 7, 2021

Can I fight white supremacy?

Of course you can! 

But let me back up.

After I posted last week, it occurred to me that the question could be turned back on me: what are you doing? I mean, I hope the blog post would count as something, at least for that day. 

I had also mentioned not knowing what to do about the violence that was happening, just as I had feared.

Part of that concern was that I don't get out much; I was a care giver for a senior citizen with dementia. If that put some limits on excursions, the pandemic put more. 

I am unlikely to be in the area when someone gets targeted. It's not even about whether I would know what to do to make it better instead of worse, or whether I would freeze. Most likely I will not be there, even in the area I live, let alone the rest of the country. 

That can be discouraging.

White supremacy has a long history in the United States, and there are many factors and causes keeping it going, so one person is not going to fix it anyway. This will take the combined efforts of many people.

For the next few posts, I want to spend some time on what we can do, starting off with some encouragement for those who don't feel like they have much to offer, and some ideas on how to find your place.

Back when I was working out in the world -- mainly in Portland, but also sometimes when I was working in Hillsboro -- I often found people to help. 

I don't remember it ever being interfering with racist harassment. However, I often had people ask me for the time and directions. With current technology, there is not as much need for that, but I know they asked me because I was approachable, including a willingness to make eye contact.

I often had lonely people start conversations. I do remember feeling annoyed once, and then guiltily remembering that I had just prayed for opportunities to help people. 

Many of these people were white, and were often elderly, homeless, or disabled. Sometimes it was all of the above. 

I could usually tell that they got ignored a lot. Sometimes, just having me listening was pretty good, but sometimes I could give helpful information, or something. One guy who had been at a food bank that did not understand the needs of a person without a kitchen gave me his food bag after I gave him money. I am not sure that was the best outcome, but that's what happened. 

One time I had bought flowers for my mother, but I'd bought two bouquets because there was a special, and I gave one to the man I was talking to, for his daughter. 

And one time, even though I was out with my mother, I was able to help a man who had fallen. I admit it was more nerve-wracking trying to help him while also making sure she didn't wander off, but still, he definitely needed help, and we were part of that.

None of these are dramatic, or specifically anti-racist. Let me point out two things.

What if we consider racism as an aspect of dominator culture or patriarchy or kyriarchy? There are nuances between all three terms, but a common bond is that they contain lots of ways to look down on other people. 

For many of these people, their loneliness is reinforced by their low status. Valuing and respecting them does fight the power, in its own way.

Also, it won't always be dramatic. Sometimes there are just mundane things like offering someone a cough drop, or texting them housing information, or taking a bag of sandwiches with you when you know you will see at least a few people who could use a sandwich.

My main point is that these are areas where I fit in well. I was there anyway, and capable of contributing in that way. Those opportunities found me. I tried to keep an eye out, but they found me.

I do think it is very important to have an idea of the larger picture, and where your efforts fit in. That is a part of being prepared. We'll spend some time on that.

I also really believe in revelation and inspiration and guidance. Those gifts and abilities that you have will find an outlet if you will ask, and maybe even if you will just stay open.

No comments: