Sunday, August 19, 2018

Living by the Spirit

After last week's post, it occurred to me that maybe I should do something on recognizing the Spirit. Emphasizing the importance of listening may not be that helpful without some idea of how to listen.

The range of possibilities is wide enough that it can lead to some difficulty. Honestly, D & C 9 gave me a bit of a complex:

"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right." Doctrine and Covenants 9:8

I never really felt burning in my bosom, until it was confirmed that I should go on a mission. Then it was my entire body on fire, not just in my chest.

It is still a really good scripture. The concept that you should study and then pray for confirmation is helpful in many situations. Still, it is better when you know the context. This section is about Oliver Cowdery learning to translate, and expecting it to be easier than it was. Wrong expectations can set us up for failure, but it doesn't mean failure is the only option either. Section 9 can teach us about humility and opening ourselves up to guidance, but it also teaches us that there are individual differences. Guidance for me may not feel like guidance for you.

I can tell you that at times when I have been feeling the influence of the Holy Ghost it has led to me crying, or feeling a warmth, or getting goosebumps, or suddenly understanding something I hadn't before - which has come in the form of words sometimes but sometimes just knowledge - butI might not remember everything I have felt, and there might be still more ways that apply for you.

I think sometimes the differences can relate to the context. Every now and then there is a dream that matters, and is not just about my subconscious sorting things out. Often when that has happened it has been for something pretty specific that it would have been hard to get without seeing and hearing it. For the two main times, they were also about things that I needed to do for someone else without knowing there had been a need, so I wasn't going to be pondering and praying about it.

Otherwise, a lot of my memorable encounters with the Spirit have come from simply putting myself in the right place: while reading the scriptures, or praying, or in church or in the temple. Also, sometimes I am too preoccupied to listen, and need to make quiet time. I used to think meditation was not needed if you prayed, but taking time to meditate can make your prayer better. Pondering - where we focus our thoughts - is often understood as necessary, but meditating to quiet thoughts can help too. If we regularly do things to invite the Spirit, that invitation will be accepted, and then answers will come.

I remember having it hammered home pretty hard by a teacher once that there is no revelation without a question. That would seem to not be true based on those dreams, but at the same time, even if I was not praying to know how to help my friend or sister, I generally am praying for my family, and to do well in my callings, and for help in knowing what I need to do and doing it. Leaving the channel open appears to be the main priority. There are always going to be more possibilities than we realize.

My go-to scripture is always Galatians 5:22:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,"

That is why I keep worrying about the increase of anger that I notice. It's not that there aren't things that deserve anger (and we can disagree on what those are), but being constantly angry will cut you off. Gloating will cut you off. Focusing on how much suffering people deserve, or the good things they don't deserve, will cut you off. Fortunately, we can pray for help with that too.


I have recently stopped to consider the guidance I have received over the years. Some of the growth has come from hardships that I did not choose, but as I have asked for help in dealing with those hardships, and acted on the promptings I have received for what to do, I have learned a lot. In the process, I have recognized my own weaknesses and how they have held me back, and actively sought healing for those weaknesses. That has been a long journey, and I never could have imagined the possibilities, but I am profoundly grateful for them now.

Let me add, then, that one hallmark of living by the Spirit is that there will keep being more. You will follow more promptings, gain more inspiration, and there will be more refining. It is not easy, but it is beautiful.

No comments: