Sunday, December 20, 2015

Moving

I want to stick to some easier things until we get past the holiday season, because I assume that people are busy and distracted.

I helped my brother move into a new place yesterday, and it brought back some memories.

One memory from long ago is that when I first went away to college, I did not bring towels. They seem like an obvious thing to bring, but I had stayed in the dorms before for different programs, and they provided sheets and towels. It totally made sense that for regular dorm residents things might be different than people there for a week for Girls' State or something like that, but my first shower involved just standing there for a while after turning off the water, hoping to drip dry a fair amount before I put on my clothes.

The other memory I have is to always buy a plunger as soon as you move in. I know that one because one of my mission companions got sick not long after we had changed apartments.

It makes total sense. You certainly don't want to pack up the old plunger after the things it has seen, and I don't recommend that at all. Throw the old one out; just remember to get a new one. If you wait until you are reminded, especially in a single bathroom dwelling, that would be an unfortunate thing.

Neither of these were problems for my brother, but one immediate realization was that he needed a shower curtain. If you live in a place with shower doors, you don't think of it, but moving into a place without doors, that shower curtain becomes really necessary. If you can make a mental note when you are looking at places, whether the shower is enclosed by curtains or doors, that can help you be more prepared.

Fortunately we are often near places where these essential items can be obtained easily, but moving is a stressful thing. The things that you can remember and prepare for in advance subtract from that stress instead of adding to it. That's worth something.

No comments: