Monday, August 10, 2015

A simple reminder

This weekend I had too many things to do, and a few unexpected things went wrong. I was determined to still post more on earthquakes though, and then I wrote something up for my journal and felt to share it. 

While there shouldn't be anything embarrassing in it, it is not my story so I will remove names. Then we can get back to earthquakes next week.

I am the ward librarian, and the lost and found is in the library. I got a call from a member of the ward about a week and a half ago. She had lost her makeup bag at church. 

That may not sound like a big deal, but it would expensive to replace, especially the brushes. Nothing like it had been turned in, and she had done searched the building already. I wanted to help, but I knew it was not in the library. I had an impression, and I had to start off with I knew it would sound facetious, but I told her to have her children pray that she would find it.


That came from a lesson someone else gave on prayer, and a story she told. She was sitting for her nephew once and he wanted to play a game but a piece was missing. The nephew wanted to pray to find it, and she didn't want to, because then if they didn't find it then it would be the opposite of faith promoting. She didn't say that of course, but he prayed and found it right away. 

It reminded me that children are much better at having faith about things like that. If the piece had been destroyed or something, maybe that wouldn't be answered, but it can be a relatively easy prayer to answer and why not try that?

Anyway, she took my advice in the spirit in which it was intended, and said she would do that. I ran into her in the bathroom the next Sunday and it had been found. After we got off the phone, one child was in bed already, but she got her daughter and asked her to pray. About two hours later someone was going by the bishop's office and something caught her eye and she found it. Because there had been internet messages other people were able to connect them, and she got the bag back.

She was also able to make it a teaching moment for her daughter. She explained that she had to do work like searching and asking other people, including me, but that helped the prayer be answered. That built faith for both of them.

So I had to share that with the one who gave the lesson. She was going to let her nephew know that he touched people.

It's a good reminder that sometimes we sell ourselves short. Even knowing God's power, we don't take full advantage of it. Maybe we don't believe that we are important enough, or that the things we want are important enough. Maybe we feel embarrassed about the things we want, and don't need to. 

It's good to stop and remember that our Heavenly Father does love us, and is capable of quite a bit.



No comments: