Sunday, June 21, 2015

Being able to speak with the world

One of the things I hate most at church is that it seems like whenever someone mentions "the world" it is bolded and italicized, like it is one step away from needing a euphemism because it is too  horrible to say. The "world" is not Voldemort, and even if it were, it was silly of the members of the wizarding world to be scared of a word.

The bigger point that I want to get to is to take a better look at what we mean when we say "the world", and if we are on the right track, but we are not there yet. Instead we are building on last week's themes of not being afraid of words or warping their meanings. This is necessary so we can communicate effectively. Once we start changing words around communication is muddied, and even our own perceptions can be unclear.

There is a lot of room for this discussion in the realm of sex, but let's start with something easier and look at drugs.

Many people have been upset by the recent legalization of marijuana in some states, because they feel like the state condoning its use will make its use more common.

My feelings were mixed because at the same time that I hate marijuana, I know that the war on drugs is a fiasco and makes things much worse than having them legal would be, so that we are just allowing the one, but maintaining the structure of illegality that is so harmful, is a concern.

(For more on that topic, I strongly recommend Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari.)

For the LDS, this shouldn't be a problem. We already abstain from legal substances like tobacco, alcohol, coffee, and tea; we know that there can be things that are reasonably legal but are still bad for you. Many members also abstain from cola, even though that is not something that is officially included. We can do that. Therefore it should be completely possible to have a discussion on reasons not to take marijuana beyond "Drugs are bad!"

Some of my reasons for not liking marijuana are narrow-minded. It just seems to make people act a lot stupider, in the moment and then as a result of prolonged use. At the same time, I know people who use it who are not stupid, and I need to be willing to accept that. Different people do have different reactions - some people get really paranoid on marijuana, though that's rare - so it probably does have less of an effect on others.

One reason I don't use any drugs, including marijuana, is that not using them is part of my baptismal covenant, and that's a choice that I made and that I honor. People who have not made that choice are not sinning. It may not be a beneficial choice, but they would not have any motivation to honor beliefs they don't have. I have no room to judge that.

I do have room to notice the ways that I am blessed for honoring my covenants, and this is where I can gain a better understanding of why we are given that. I have observed people lose common sense and judgment while using substances. That can have more serious consequences that it usually does, but I like having my faculties.

Many people who use substances, including marijuana, are trying to deaden feelings of pain or emptiness. I understand this motivation, and I have a lot of sympathy for it, but I ultimately believe that deadening the feelings delays their healing, and the healing feels better than the deadening.

Most importantly for me is that when I am substance free it leaves me more open to inspiration. I get thoughts and ideas and clarity that would have a hard time making it through the fog. Acting on those things allows me to help others and to be more creative, both of which are things that I highly value. Because of that, the choice to abstain becomes stronger.

I can have that discussion with people, and they might not be convinced to try it themselves, but they can at least respect it. That leaves an opening where they are more likely to consider it in the future.

That discussion doesn't get very far if all I have to contribute is "Drugs are bad!"

No comments: