Sunday, May 3, 2015

Garden 2015

Last year I was facing a lot of ambiguity over what to do with the garden this year. Things are finally resolved.

I did give up the community garden plot. That was partly the cost, and people being annoying, but also a thought that I could use my own yard. The problem was that I couldn't quite come up with a complete plan for where to put what. There were too many other things going on to put in a lot of work.

I thought there just wouldn't be any gardening this year. That seemed reasonable, but it was disappointing and I rebelled inside.

My compromise is that I've bought one tomato plant and one pumpkin plant, and they will go into the flowerbeds.

The tomato is because I have a reasonable success rate with those, and I still have tomato cages. Also, last year it felt like every other plot in the community garden had a cherry tomato plant and they were adorable. I had an Early Girl plant, which doesn't get very big, but I wanted these cute, perfectly curved globules for myself, so this is a cherry tomato plant.

The pumpkin is because that was the one thing that didn't grow last year, which was really disappointing. I don't know for sure that it was the crooked neck squash suppressing the pumpkin, but this year it will not have any competition, and I am starting from a plant instead of seeds, so I hope that will work out.

I am also not ruling out doing a lettuce tray. I did grow some lettuce last year, but trying to clean it off was very frustrating. I have seen people grow them in serving pans with just a little soil, and it seems a lot more practical.

It is less ambitious than last year, but there should still be some learning, but without being a significant source of stress. Good enough!

No comments: