Sunday, November 23, 2014

Reasons I might renew my community garden plot

There are points in favor of the community garden plot as well.

One is that again, it is not expensive, especially when you include the use of the water.

Another is that while I can use my yard, then that involves things like rototilling and fencing parts off from the pets, and things like that. One thing I have considered is maybe putting sections of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries in the backyard, maybe a plum tree in the front yard, but keeping the patch for regular vegetables. I feel I need more knowledge before I can decide, so that level of planning is on hold for right now, though I will need to decide before the end of January.

And of course the other reason that I might renew is people, even though that was the primary reason I might not.

A lot of people I knew took garden patches, and I thought at times that I would see them there, and that would be kind of cool. It turned out that usually we were there at different times, and the examples of the people who really annoyed me were people I had prior knowledge of.

At the same time, there were a lot of interactions with strangers that I wasn't expecting, and they were primarily positive.

People are attracted to growing space. As I worked, people would walk by and they would look and ask questions. Children would want to help.

There is an older woman who walks in the area a lot. She doesn't speak English, so we smile and greet each other, but all we can really say is "Hi". While the garden was going on, sometimes I could also show her a squash or something. I believe she was impressed.

So there are real community aspects to a community garden, and that may be something I want to continue to participate in. If I don't, someone else will, and I hope it will be good for them too. I still need to figure it out.

No comments: