Sunday, April 20, 2014

Garden Report - April

I have started a garden.

It's something I had been thinking about, but I didn't think I really had the time. I was tempted by having a new community garden so close, but it felt like actually committing to it would be crazy, and then I felt that I must. I now have a community garden plot.

I felt like I was getting a late start, and just needed to get something into the ground as soon as possible, but looking around more I decided that I did have some time, so first I worked in some plant feed, and Friday night I worked one cubic foot of soil into my 10x10 patch. Seeing how far that went, I kind of wish I had bought two bags, but I am sticking with the one for now.

I am going to do a mix of some seed and some plants, and the amount of agonizing that I am doing about that is ridiculous, but I keep reminding myself that this is a learning year, and it's okay if I don't get the greatest results.

The other thing that I have is a bag of egg shells in the freezer, and this helps tell the greater story of how this year is going and will go. I was thinking that I don't know anything about gardening, but then I keep remembering some things that I do know. The egg shells are one memory.

Back around 1999 I took a Master Food Preservers class, and then I did volunteer work in the community. I spent many Saturday's in a booth at the Hillsboro Farmer's market, and I was usually with a Master Gardener. Almost every week, my companion was asked about blossom end rot.

The people asking did not call it that. They mentioned having dark spots on the ends of their tomatoes, and it came up frequently enough that I memorized the answer. It is a common problem, especially with the moisture we have in this area, but calcium would help, and you could add egg shells to the soil.

Bearing that in mind, I knew I should get some egg shells for when I planted my tomatoes. I had never actually done it though, so I looked it up on the internet. The internet recommended pulverizing the shells so you have a powder. Our blender isn't that good, so I have small pieces of shell, but that's something. Others raised questions about salmonella risk, and recommended washing the shells, but someone else, without specifically mentioning salmonella, said to freeze the shells, so that's why their in the freezer now.

As I am working on this, I suddenly find myself remembering things. Marigolds keep away pests. I did some container gardening and liked Early Girl tomatoes and Quinault strawberries. I think the Quinault was just something I stumbled onto looking for ever-bearing versus June-bearing plants, but I think someone had recommended Early Girl.

So there are some things I remember, but they are partial memories, and I can augment that with research. That's kind of how I work in most areas, so it's the most logical garden strategy.

Anyway, my plan is to report on what is going on in the garden once a month. I don't know that more frequent updates would make sense, but I hope there will be at least some news, and some progress, every month through the growing season. Then, having learned some stuff, I can figure out next year.

For right now, I am not being ambitious. I can wish I had gotten on the ball earlier, and knew more, but I could also wish that I was younger, or better at physical labor, or had a comfy pair of overalls for when I am messing around in the dirt. This is just starting from where I am, and seeing how it goes.

No comments: