Sunday, September 8, 2013

Preach My Gospel Chapter 1: My Purpose

I don't know that where I am going with this is the most obvious path for this chapter, but it fits in with some other things that I have been thinking about.

The Gospel is true. It is also necessary for salvation. These things are true. The plan accounts for a lot of issues though. So if people need more time, or more help, that is covered, and that's very important. I guess I have been thinking a lot about those who need more time.

We were talking about someone who is kind of messed up, I guess is a charitable way to say it, and my sisters were telling me that I needed to straighten her out, and, no, I really don't. I think she has heard all of the normal admonitions already, and they have not sunk in, and so all I could really do is prove that I am just one more person who doesn't get it.

The funny thing is, and we discussed this more, is that we actually know and love a lot of people who are messed up, and whom we do not try and set straight. To some extent, they already know for themselves what they should be doing. For that part that they don't know, if we did try and tell them, it would be alienating.

I realize I seem to be saying that you can't tell anyone anything, but that's really not it.

I'm going to compare it to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. If someone is starving, or in physical danger, you need to deal with that before you can address creative fulfillment and self-actualization. That is an oversimplification, and I think there is a lot of interaction between the different tiers of the pyramid, but there are issues that will block the acceptance of other truths. It doesn't mean that the person is not being difficult or shooting themselves in the foot - they totally could be - but there may just be messages they are not ready to hear. Focusing exclusively on that message prevents you from delivering other messages that might sink in.

I don't need to tell anyone what they already know, but I can't tell them something that is so far from what they do know that it is incomprehensible. So the first thing I start with is not telling them anything at all, but listening. And I do tell them some things, perhaps, little things, that can take root, but I don't need to hammer at anyone. People are not nails.

When you are a full-time missionary it is different, because you are pretty much focusing on people who are ready to learn now. Your time is limited, which necessitates a somewhat narrow scope. As a member missionary, caring about those around you, you can be in it for the long haul. Yes, right now her head is not on straight, but she is going to have some experiences over the next two years that will teach her things that she would not believe coming from me. If I haven't chased her away, we can talk about it then.

Obviously, there are limits to how much we can know, but there are no limits to what the Spirit can know, and the only limits to our ability to listen to the Spirit are self-imposed. All of those things that help us listen better, with scripture study, and prayer, and humility, are going to be easier, and we will have better motivation, because we love those around us.

My purpose as a missionary is to love. Everything starts and circles back to there.

No comments: