Monday, February 11, 2013

Things to think about

Two things have had me thinking recently, and I am going to try and put them into a unified whole.

One was a report on Oregon's readiness for a major quake, as we are expecting, and the plan they have for getting things ready would take fifty years to implement. Well, it could be fifty years before the next major quake hits, or it could be sooner, and also, I don't think they are actually starting the plan, which could be another concern.

As dismal as that may sound, that wasn't what struck me. They did mention wanting people to have two weeks worth of supplies rather than three days, and the liquefaction of the soil, and we have talked about all that, but the other thing that was really interesting to me was the estimation that it would take three months to restore the power grid. That's a long time in the dark.

And we have talked about dealing without electricity before, but with such an extended time period, new factors are introduced. Batteries may run out that would have been sufficient for two weeks or even a month. You may get really sick of eating uncooked food. Everything in your freezer will thaw.

The other thing that got me thinking was the storm moving in on the East Coast, and a sister was asking me if a blizzard is a big deal now, compared to what it once would have been. Of course, we have all read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, and I am sure Nemo will be nothing like the Hard Winter, but still, how difficult can it make things?

There are a few concerns. If you are caught traveling in it, there is definite danger. You can still get lost and freeze, though in a densely settled area it should be a little harder. You can still see property damage from heavy winds, heavy snow accumulation can cave in a roof, and there is concern that flooding will be a problem, so there are all of those things, and while people are still recovering from Sandy.

However, there is another aspect that I had not thought of before, relating to the economy. We have so many people living on the edge. If there are people who have lost their heating due to being unable to pay bills, that makes it more dangerous. If there are people living paycheck to paycheck who can't stock up on food, and then cannot get out to buy more food, that is dangerous. There are people for whom a few extra days off of work can be disastrous.

I don't have any easy solutions for these things, but the blog is generally standard practices, and these might require some very individual solutions. Raising the questions, and thinking about the issues, can lead us to the information we need.

I want an additional cooking option. There was a folding stove that used Sterno that I intend to pick up soon. I probably will not get enough fuel to cook three months worth of meals, but if I can cook more often than I would be able otherwise, that gives us some flexibility, and I will take it.

A few weeks ago our freezer was getting really empty, and I was concerned. With some sale scouting and coupons, it is pretty full again, and and we have more cans. That makes me feel better.

We are not living on the edge with our heating bills yet, but at some point I may feel like I want to stock up on blankets, and then I will find a way to do it. I am a strong believer in thinking.

In the earthquake discussion, this group was mentioned: http://www.preporegon.org/

I haven't had a chance to look around much, but I will, because I am always looking for ideas.

No comments: