Monday, April 13, 2009

January 2009 - Setting goals

Last month we talked about remembering the most basic counsel, of having food storage and financial well being, as presented in the “All is Safely Gathered In” pamphlets. If these two areas are neglected, progress in other areas will be less valuable. That does not mean that it is not helpful or appropriate to set goals in any of the old Provident Living areas.

Some time ago I received a document that had been used in Hillsboro Stake to assist leaders in doing a personal and family preparedness assessment. I modified that to make it more applicable to singles. (This primarily meant removing the questions about whether or not you are teaching your children good principles in these areas. If you have children now, or when you do, that is a good question to ask.)

This is separate from the preparedness survey that I am collecting from ward members, but it will probably share one feature, in that viewing all of the questions together can lead to feelings of inadequacy. Despair is not a helpful reaction. Focus on what you have, and what you need, and set appropriate priorities for your goals. There should be goals, and the start of a new year is a great time for setting them, but don’t lose perspective in the process. Remember, “God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

As we keep our perspective, maintaining a sound mind, we will know how to focus our efforts, and following through will help us feel the power of preparedness. Being prepared, we shall not fear (D&C 38:30), and we can also cast our fear by perfect love (Moroni 8:16), so it all works together in such a way that we do not need to be discouraged.

That being said, here are the questions for the six areas:

Social and Emotional Strength
· Do I follow the counsel of the prophet by having regular scripture study, daily prayer, and attending the temple monthly? Am I benefiting from it?
· What events in my past have I not dealt with emotionally or still make me feel uncomfortable?
· Have I got confidence in my abilities and self-esteem?
· Am I able to receive and understand personal revelation?
· Do I observe the Law of the Fast and pay a full tithing?

Resource Management
· How many months of income do I have in the bank that can be drawn on in case of emergency?
· How do I utilize a monthly budget and tracking spending?
· Am I working to eliminate consumer and other unnecessary debt?
· How much do I put aside in savings on a regular basis?
· What resources do I have that could help me improve my financial situation?

Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness
· How many weeks or months of food do I have hand?
· What do I do to rotate what food I have in storage?
· How much water and other necessary goods do I have in case of emergency or loss of income?
· How much food and other items do I need to have for a year’s supply?
· What do I have prepared in case of a short-term emergency (72 hour kits, first aid kit, etc)?
· Within the confines of my available space, what am I doing for a garden?

Employment
· How does my job challenge me?
· What do I like best about work each day, and am I accomplishing all that I can?
· Am I currently using my talents in a satisfactory way? If not, how can I prepare for a more fulfilling career?

Physical Health
· What do I do to exercise regularly?
· When is the last time that I had a physical exam?
· What do I do to eat a balanced diet?
· Am I physically able to meet the demands of my normal life?
· Would I be physically able to meet the demands of different emergencies?

Education and Literacy
· How will my education provide a career that will meet the financial needs of my current or future family?
· What am I doing to upgrade my education within my chosen career?
· If I could no longer work in my current career, or there was a loss of a source of support, what other options would I have?

As you can see, these questions are not so much specific items on a list as they are a help to getting you to analyze and ponder your current status, and how it might be affected by other events. What would you want to be different? What would work well?

Regardless of your circumstances, there are steps you can take to improve. Think about the goals that will make the most sense for you, and then pursue them in faith. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

No comments: