Sunday, July 28, 2024

Reproving betimes with sharpness...

I have been meaning to get to this since June 23rd.

https://preparedspork.blogspot.com/2024/06/none-of-this-is-new.html

The post title refers to verse 43 of Doctrine and Covenants Section 121. I had referenced verse 37 on June 23rd.

After going over how unrighteous dominion (attempting to control others and exert authority over them) is wrong, but how it is also something people easily fall into. It talks about how you can exert influence, but "only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;" (verse 41). 

Then we get to 43:

Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy; 
(For the whole thing, please see https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/121?lang=eng).

So I had been wanting to get there, but then thinking about how we generally don't have authority, but some people are more likely to try to assume it anyway, while others are more likely to defer to those who try. It also led to thinking about cases where one might have authority, which of course led to parents, and possession. A month later, here we are!

With that, it frequently amazes me how much dominator culture permeates everything; I keep finding new nuances that seem worth exploring.

I hope that readers will start spotting it themselves, and will do their own exploration.

There is an election going on now, and that seems important. It looks like the trend of politics bringing out the worst in people will continue. 

Some people will be very obnoxious and love it. 

Some people will strenuously want to avoid confrontation.

Those people will not be strictly divided along party lines.

You may be wondering what your responsibility is. Can you help? If so, how?

That is not a simple yes/no question.

You may see people posting statements with no connection to reality; is it worth talking to someone like that?

It is impossible to answer for every situation. In terms of things that might be useful at a time that I believe is vitally important, yes, I am working on that. 

I am more likely to say things lately, but I think that will mainly result in people unfriending me. 

Regardless, I think there is a pattern in this verse, not specific to politics but that can apply to that, as well as other situations.

"betimes": This can mean "occasionally", but the older version -- and more likely to apply -- is "early".

Don't let things fester. There may be good reasons to wait until you are alone with someone, but there might also be times when saying it immediately and in the hearing of someone else matters. Even if some waiting seems wise, procrastinating a difficult conversation will probably only make it more difficult.

"with sharpness": That could mean "cutting", but to me it means clarity and precision.

Another potential downfall of procrastinating is that as frustration builds up, it increases the odds of an eruption where everything comes out. That could include things you don't really mean, or things that aren't false but still don't help. What is the real issue? Why is it an issue? If the top priorities are kindness and fairness, being accurate and specific are still right up there.

"showing forth afterwards an increase of love":

Ideally you are also showing love during, but criticism can be hard to take; defensiveness might prevent them from hearing the love right then. If you continue to show love, perhaps more consciously, that can clarify your message.

Sometimes the message will be right, and will be rejected, but it may still be important for you to give it. Maybe it will sink in later, or someone else will hear it... there are so many ways things can be. 

I am grateful for inspiration, but I am going to have a much easier time receiving that inspiration if I am full of love.

Therefore, as easy as it can be to feel angry and appalled, I try not to base my reaction in that.

I don't make a lot of jokes or use nicknames in my own political communication. I believe it doesn't help. (Yes, I am no fun at all.)

I try not to insult anyone's intelligence, even if it really seems deserved. 

This is not saying that political differences aren't important. They are more important than ever. 

It's just that dominator culture will still ruin everything.

No comments: