Sunday, March 3, 2024

Changing things up: scripture study

I was thinking it's time for another "tip" post.

That is mainly because I was thinking about some of the different things I have done for scripture study over the years, as well as how they have come about.

My scripture study started when I was about 8 or 10. I happened to look up from drawing on the program during sacrament meeting, and the speaker said you should read the scriptures every day.

That made an impression.

There were gaps, but I did eventually make it all the way through the four standard works. I think I was about 13 when I got there. I would miss nights and then plan on reading more the next day, but eventually a habit was formed. I did not get a lot out of it that first time through, but I did get some things.

At one point I asked a bishopric member for books he recommended, leading me to read A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, Jesus the Christ, and The Miracle of Forgiveness. I did go back to reading the standard works. 

I got more out of it the second time, but there was still a lot that didn't sink in. Sometimes my attention wandered or I was bored, and it was questionable whether any of the words sunk in. However, I kept going, and different things made impressions here and there.

At times I have tried different things. When I was preparing to go on a mission, I read the Book of Mormon in every language I had studied at that point: French, Spanish, and Italian. I thought I might end up using one of those languages on my mission.

Laotian anyone?

I have taken Institute classes. I have read with my family.

Many of the scriptures that are important to me were first noticed because someone else was sharing it, and what it meant to them. Sometimes someone else's context provides extra resonance.

Currently, I am reading through conference talks. 

It was something I had wanted to do, but it seemed like too big an undertaking. Then it wasn't, though there was still a false start. 

I don't think it was so much that I procrastinated as that I first had the idea before it fit into my life.

It started out kind of awkwardly, and then got into a rhythm. Then I started remembering these really great Ensign articles about different parts of the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon. So now I am also reading Ensign articles that go along with the topic at hand. This month, that means looking through the March Ensigns for 1992, 1996, and 2000.

(I am keeping up with the regular reading in Come Follow Me as well.) 

I have these Institute manuals that I have tried to bring in before, but then it didn't work out. I think after I finish the conference talks, then it will be time for them. Maybe.

I'm not necessarily recommending any of these for any one person, but there are three things that I will say for anyone.

  1. The knowledge we gain from reading the scriptures is important. Prayer is how we open communication with God but the scriptures facilitate that communication.
  2. I believe that we can get guidance on what will help us and what we need specifically.
  3. I know that gaining greater understanding takes time and persistence. That time that you put in is a worthwhile investment.

Related posts:

https://preparedspork.blogspot.com/2009/01/december-2007-scriptural-literacy.html

No comments: