Sunday, February 4, 2024

Just talking

As I am holding forth on the logical, it seems like every now and then there should also be some tips. 

If so much of this is predicated on a father who loves us; what if you don't know or feel that?

There are parents who can make that much harder. Sometimes even I am surprised that I don't picture Heavenly Father as similar to my earthly one, but I feel very fortunate.

When we teach people to pray, we focus on things like using respectful language, starting by addressing Heavenly Father and closing in the name of Jesus Christ, and that we both thank for what we have already received as well as asking for what we want.

There is nothing wrong with that, and remembering those things is important. 

I especially get the value of both remembering to thank and ask. When there is a pressing concern, it is easy to just focus on that and forget all of the good things that have happened or are available. Sometimes you just want to launch into the concern because it is overpowering all of your other thoughts.

Remembering that structure can be one solution; No! I've got to thank first!

Doing so is probably good for keeping perspective and not catastrophizing.

I am going to add two other possibilities.

One is that if you have prayers that are heavy on the asking, you could also at times have prayers that only thank, or one where you thank for many things and then only ask for one thing. Praying more often and thinking about the kinds of prayers you are praying can be great.

The other thing is that in the realm of asking and telling, there is not only thanking and asking. Sometimes you can just pour out your heart.

I am sad. I am scared. This really hurt. I couldn't believe he said that. Is this ever going to get better?

Okay, that last one is asking again.

It turns it into more of a conversation, and one where you demonstrate faith (or at least begin to) that someone is there.

You might worry that it is a one-sided conversation.

It's not. You may not immediately feel it.

The greatest gift of healing through the Atonement I ever had came after just pouring my heart out until it was empty one night. I did that and I felt nothing.

I don't know whether it had been so emotional that I didn't realize I poured out my pain, or if it needed more time, but in the morning it was just gone. It took me a while to realize it, because I had gotten so used to hurting. I just know it worked.

I can't rule out that part of the value is that taking your troubles to God is a sign of faith that you matter; you are important enough that God listening to you is reasonable.

I do know that is true.

No comments: