Sunday, February 3, 2019

Hang in there

I don't necessarily mean hang in there and stick around for my slow progress in breaking down gender constructs, though I hope you do.

What I mean for now (and it is an interruption in the gender series) is that I want to take a moment to acknowledge that things are hard out there.

Between financial issues and my mother's health, I am always running pretty close to empty anyway, but this week was worse. It was worse on a personal level with some distressing news and tests needed. They probably aren't even going to turn out that horribly, but the efforts required and the dread that certain words inspire was enough to make a difference.

On an external level, news of racism and natural disaster took an emotional toll as well. I know there is always news like that, but that's exactly the problem. If you care about things and are aware, this is a much more discouraging world than it was a few years ago, and it could be pretty discouraging then.

If there is one thing I have learned through the blog it is that I am not the only one who feels this way. Therefore, I know that there are other people who are sensitive and down, and today I want to throw out some words of encouragement to you.

It isn't just you.

There is room for all of it under the Atonement.

Hang in there.

I also want to share a story.

I pray a lot. I try not to get so overcome with my needs that I forget to count blessings and express gratitude, and that is often very helpful. When I am overwhelmed I try and find just the next thing to do (out of many possibilities). Last night, though, I tried to have a prayer like that, and I stumbled and I was just "Send food. Send money. Send ."

He sent food right away. He sent food through two different sources. I still have leftovers of the food that was sent.

Also, part of that was that I really could not deal with cooking then. Tonight I finally did get around to cooking and it went better than I thought it would.

That was incredibly encouraging.

I don't want to read too much into it, assuming that the money and the other request are on their way. I also don't want to read too much into the people who brought the food getting things that were close to what I would have gotten, but were not in fact the things that I would have gotten. It was enough for then.

Sometimes all you need is a bump to get you through to the next moment and it comes. Sometimes the answers are just comfort and guidance and sufficient strength, all of which are really wonderful things. I understand the good in things not always being easy.

It also really helps that every now and then something is easy.

I hope that for all of you too.

No comments: